35mmforum.co.uk
September 25, 2018, 09:35:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Good to see the forum going from strength to strength.
Welcome to the european 35mmforum.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author
[EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU]
Topic: Mounted film cells  (Read 1261 times)
Mountedbliss

« on: April 30, 2010, 03:43:22 AM »

This may sound a bit er...daft but is the subject of mounted film cells a little taboo on this site and frowned upon.

I scoured the internet a few months ago and there was an article about Rye By Post who I am sure you are all famliar with. The article was about the company going into recievership and the feedback to the article was incredible. It seemed a lot of people were horrified about the amount of films RBP had butchered over the years.

I sell mounted film cells and found the link to here via an ebay ad. I do not buy trailers/films and cut them up though, I buy from two dealers who provide the cells in strips but I suppose it makes me no better than RBP.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Xenon
Administrator

Xenon light is nice and bright! Keep in focus!

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 05:49:43 AM »

Hello Mountedbliss,

Welcome to the Forum.

Here's my reaction on your question of your first post!
Personaly I never would cut a good film in pieces and sell those pieces, but mind you, I said personaly !
If anyone likes to do that, that's all up to him/her.  I, and I think maybe most of our members think like that. ( if not let me hear)
I doubt though if that makes you a filmcollector, that wants to enjoy his hobby partly using this forum.

Anyway, if you want to cut films in little pieces go ahead, but personaly I don't really like that!

anyone else to react to this post?

theFilmCave

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 08:22:19 AM »

I don't think cell cutters do any harm at all if they're chopping up films that are a) useless for collectors because they're damaged or incomplete or b) are not especialy rare.  I think the second case covers 90% of cell chopper activity, however there are rare cases when it's a problem - I did hear of a complete runnable technicolor print of The Birds being sold to choppers a few years back.  I have plenty of stuff I'd be quite content with selling to choppers.  Anyone want any techicolor Pink Panther feature reels? Smiley
trailerboy

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 03:37:03 PM »

I dont have a problem with it, lets face most trailers end up in the bucket , if you can turn something thats for the bucket into a couple of ££ then go for it.
 But on the other hand some trailers should not be chopped. eg . very rare trailers.
Mountedbliss

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 04:51:54 PM »

Thanks for the replies guys.

I would be interested in any 70s Brit comedies that may be up for grabs, they sell well!
Starfire

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 02:52:34 PM »

I kind of have a foot in both camps here. I do chop up films for 'film cells', and sell them at craft fairs throughout the south east (UK), but I also have a chum who has a 35mm projector (don't ask for details. I just go round with the pizza, popcorn and beer, and enjoy the movie). When I buy 35mm stock, it's usually trailers, and usually current stuff, and for the most part, they're chopped up and sold. However, I'm also a film buff too, and when a 'goodie' falls out of a job lot, Lennie (my chum) gets first dibs. So far he's had Thunderball trailer, Barbarella trailer and as to reels, he's had two reels of The Italian Job (original), one of Prince and Showgirl, two of 2001 A Space Odyssey and a load more. I figure he's had 30 or so trailers and maybe 10 or 11 reels from me. I wouldn't dream of cutting up something old or rare, but most trailers end up in the bin, or returned for destruction, so I have little compunction in chopping them up, but, unlike most 'choppers', I think I know where to draw the line. I have one customer whom we see about once a month, and buys a 'film cell' every time. She, and her family live in a house that must, by now, be a shrine to Hollywood. They gain a lot of pleasure from owning something that to them is unique and valuable (please don't tell her the truth), but I remember selling her a framed cell of 'Twilight' (the vampire/teenage angst thing), where I'd chosen the frames and the picture just for her, and she was absolutely over the moon. So I guess there's room for both sides here, and just for the record, I understand the point of view of the 'anti-choppers' completely. When I get down to my workshop on Monday, I'll make a note of the trailers sitting on the shelf (Don't get your hopes up, for the most part they're rubbish). But on the other hand, one mans rubbish is anothers gold. Off the top of my head, I have trailers of Secret Garden, Honey I Shrunk The Kids, True Blue, Bad Boys and a dozen others. I'll post a list, and since they won't be used by me, the price will be a contribution to the Help For Heroes charity. Send me the postage, make a donation and they are yours. Watch this space.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: