35mmforum.co.uk
October 23, 2018, 07:19:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Good to see the forum going from strength to strength.
Welcome to the european 35mmforum.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author
[EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU]
Topic: For me this is nostalgia  (Read 2462 times)
Xenon
Administrator

Xenon light is nice and bright! Keep in focus!

« on: July 30, 2010, 06:20:59 PM »

Hi all,
My memories.........

Me eighteen years old as military projectionist (1963)
I think this was a PHILIPS PH4 projector

Same projector

Other baracs other projector ( Microtechnica 16mm arc.)

Same projector

DP70's at CORSO cinema Rotterdam ( closed) This was one of the nicest theatres in Rotterdam ever.

Same theatre

« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 04:29:43 AM by Xenon » Logged
exciterlamp

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 12:54:14 PM »

The black & white pictures show the Western Electric Universal Bases and Kalee 12s looking rather forlorn in the "box" at the Premier Cinema in Enfield, Middlesex, which was my local cinema until it closed in 1961.  

The colour picture shows one of the machines fully restored in my garage cinema, where it is in regular use.  When as a young boy in the 1950s I sat entranced in front of the Premier's silver screen, little did I know that many years hence I would be showing films on one of the machines that were giving me so much enjoyment.  

Incidentally, this Universal Base had its 80th birthday earlier this year.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 05:09:01 PM by exciterlamp » Logged
Xenon
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 09:05:15 AM »

What a beautiful sight those nice shining projectors.
It shows they're taken care of with a lot of love.
Nobody could have known that they would turn out to be yours after all these years they served loyaly at the Premier Cinema.
I hope it's given to enjoy these lovelies for another 80 years to come.

Very nice post, thank you exciterlamp.
exciterlamp

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 11:15:32 AM »

The black and white photos were taken in the "box" at the Coronation/later Roxy/later Ritz in Surbiton, Surrey, which was my wife's local cinema when she was a girl.  The projectors comprise a Ross GC1 head, RCA9031 soundhead and a Peerless Magnarc.  They were installed in 1947 (a good year, as I was "installed" that year as well), although the Magnarc would appear to be an earlier model.  The cinema had been a bingo hall since 1966, some twenty years before these photos were taken.

The colour photos were taken in my garage cinema.  I restored one of the machines and it now stands next to the Universal Base setup illustrated above.  When giving shows I do changeovers between the two machines using an Easifit double shutter device for the picture and an RCA changeover device for the sound.  The latter works by simultaneously switching off the exciterlamp on the outgoing machine and switching on the exciterlamp on the incoming machine.

So, a double dose of nostalgia.  Two machines from opposite sides of London - from my wife's and and my local cinemas, where we both spent many happy hours as children.  My cinema, the Premier, succumbed to the wrecker's ball in 1985.  My wife's is now a Wetherspoons pub, the Coronation Hall, the plasterwork nicely restored and repainted.

Xenon, I don't know if you know of Wetherspoons, but they have converted a lot of cinemas to pubs.  They usually go back to the original name and sympathetically restore as many features as possible.  Not as good as still being a cinema, but better than demolition.  At the Opera House in Tunbridge Wells, which was for many years a cinema, the stage is still there and Wetherspoons even allowed an opera to be staged there recently.

Xenon
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 06:29:11 PM »

Exciterlamp,

Thanks for the very nice post and pictures this is truly nostalgia!
Wouldn't it be nice if more members would post their memories?

Thanks again.
xelablan

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 03:11:06 PM »

Beautiful pics full of Old Times flavour, nothing to see with mothern cinema booths, and future won´t be as nice as in digital booths there won´t be projectionists. No more Cinema Paradiso...
The pic is at the booth of a University College in Santiago de Compostela (Spain), the town where I live. I don´t lnow brand or model of this projector.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Alex
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 03:17:36 PM by xelablan » Logged
Yuri Aguilar

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 08:08:15 PM »

Nice pìcs, thanks for sharing it! I'm glad to see a Ross London, I hace one in my collection I restored the last summer!

Marelli

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 02:59:50 PM »

Nice pictures! Note that the lamphouse of Exciterlamps' Kalee is the same as on Xenons Philips IV! Philips sold this Monarc lamphouse for a long time with their own nameplate on it. Mine (on a Philips FP5, once owned by filmmaker Jef van der Heijden) lacks some parts, mirror, carbon-holders, if anyone has these parts for sale...
Marelli

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 03:05:54 PM »

@Xelablan:that really looks like a Zeiss-Ikon nameplate on your university projector... And no, a future Cinema Paradiso about the people in a digital booth does not seem likely.
Patrick Walsh

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 07:47:48 PM »

very good photos guys!
Xenon
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 11:09:24 AM »

@ Marelli,

Are you still using carbons?
Marelli

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 03:13:22 PM »

@Xenon

No, I don't use carbons anymore, but I would like to restore my lamphouse to it's original glory...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: