35mmforum.co.uk
December 11, 2018, 09:35:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Good to see the forum going from strength to strength.
Welcome to the european 35mmforum.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author
[EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU]
Topic: Forum Cinema, Ealing, West London  (Read 773 times)
exciterlamp

« on: November 12, 2010, 06:58:12 PM »

The Forum (later ABC, later UGC) was a beautiful cinema, built in 1934.  In the 1940s its stylish cafe featured in adverts, two of which I have, for ABC Catering.   Permission was given to demolish this lovely old building and replace it with a soulless multiplex on the condition that the original frontage was retained.  The Forum was subsequently demolished, but work on the new cinema ground to a halt and the frontage, shored up by scaffolding, has been standing forlornly on its own for the last two years.  My friend Neville Dimon was chief projectionist when it was the UGC and with his help I made a video of the building inside and out.  The link below takes you to just part of the video.  It starts in the intake room and shows the three phase mercury arc rectifier then moves on to one of the projection rooms (the cinema had been sub-divided) and shows Neville lacing up.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7436KEBKdY&playnext=1&videos=SX5KDRDP61Q&feature=mfu_in_order
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 07:07:54 AM by exciterlamp » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: