35mmforum.co.uk
August 16, 2018, 03:53:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Good to see the forum going from strength to strength.
Welcome to the european 35mmforum.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author
[EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU]
Topic: In these new theatres I'm going to be projectionist  (Read 1689 times)
Xenon
Administrator

Xenon light is nice and bright! Keep in focus!

« on: March 28, 2011, 06:19:34 PM »

Hi all,

From these pictures you can get an impression of the two auditoriums where I will be one of the projectionists.
It is situated in Schiedam, The Netherlands. ( a city near Rotterdam, well known for the JENEVER , a kind of GIN)
It's called  "HET WENNEKERPAND" ( The Wenneker building) because there used to be a distillery called Wenneker distillery in this building. The distillery moved to another city leaving the building empty for many years.
The city of Schiedam bought the building and funded the rebuild to its new multifunctional task.
Cause not only are there two theatres in the building also five artists like painters an sculpturs find a studio in this building.
Further more there will be an Argentine tango school an Artotheque and a children's theatre school and a Grand Cafe.
So it's really multifunctional.
As I said there are two auditoriums , one for 204 patrons, that will see a combined use, Theatre and cinema performances.
It can be used for plays, music performances and movieshows. This auditorium has a retrectable seating, special for venues where seating is not required. ( parties?)
There will be a roll-down screen of 8,45 mtr. x 3,60 mtr. with a throw of 18 meters., projector: Philips FP20 with 2000 watt xenon light.
The other auditorium seats 58 and will only be used as art film movie house.
Projector : Kinoton FP30 with 1600 watt xenon and a small Kinoton tower for 5000 mtr. spools, A Dolby CP 650 processor and QSC amps.
It has a (fixed) screen with adjustable masking of 6,10 mtr. x 2,60 mtr. the throw will be 11,25 mtr.
The equipment still must be placed this week, we will open un-officialy this friday (april first) AND IT IS NOT AN APRIL FOOL JOKE!

Here are some pictures of the situation now. ( this was april 2011)
Later I will post pictures of equiped projection rooms!

« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 06:10:48 AM by Xenon » Logged
exciterlamp

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 08:41:58 AM »

It looks great and its nice to learn that the theatres are equipped with film,rather than digital, projectors.
Xenon
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 10:16:00 AM »

Hi Exciterlamp, thanks for your reaction.

Yes I agree with you 100%.
If you have seen the pictures you must have seen how broad the projection holes are!
In the future ( 1 or 2 years) we too have to switch over to digital too since the new films won't probably be printed on real film anymore!

We specialy had broad projection holes installed so that the digital projector can find its place next to the real projector ( snif).
We have to be prepared for the future!

the_ersk

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 12:01:38 PM »

Splendid stuff - I look forward to shots showing the proj equipment in place.  The retractable seating system looks quite amazing - just don't press the wrong buttom when there is an audience!!
Cheers, David E
Xenon
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 01:22:38 PM »

Thanks for your comment,

Well retracting the seatings takes some preparations and isn't done " in a jiffy".
First you'll have to fold down all the seat's backs and that takes some time.
When that is done you'll have to fold down the safety railings at the sides.
Then you have to remove the first steps after you've disconnected the led safety lights of the first step.
After all preparations have been made you'll have to connect the remote control and you can retract the grandstand.

By the way all preparations takes one person a good half hour!

But it's a great sight to see the grandstand disappear.

The firm that's specialized in retractable grandstands is a Belgium one called Jezet seating.
I've looked them up on the internet....they are all over the world.

http://www.jezet.com/
Xenon
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 12:43:26 PM »

Pictures in random sequense of the installation by Rosbeektechniek.

Xenon
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 01:05:23 PM »

Hi,

The opening for guests was on the first of april (there were about 300 guests at the opening party)
The projection box was ready just in time to show off the nice equipment with 18 trailers that were shown to groops of 58 guests in sets of three trailers at the time.
The official opening will be on the first of may, we open with Sonny Boy, a new Dutch production.
Also in may we'll start equiping the projection booth for the larger auditorium.
I'll keep you posted on the progress of that too.

I hope you like it all!
Xenon.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 11:08:17 AM by Xenon » Logged
Xenon
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 11:22:01 AM »

Hi folks,

A couple of months ago I promissed pictures from both the booths (projectionrooms) of the new Wenneker Cinema in Schiedam, Holland.
Here are some pictures of the booth of the larger auditorium ( 204 seats).
For this auditorium we use the same projector as in the "old" one.
It's modified a bit like larger reel capacity and a large xenon bulb ( 2000 watt).
Furthermore we have bought new lenses for it since the old focus lengths didn't fit the much larger screen

The sound rack

We run 5000 meter reels so one film will fit on one reel.
When projector is not in use the lens and its holder are stored since also theatre personel can enter the booth to adjust their part of the soundrack.
Xenon
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 07:45:42 AM »

Here's an update on the WENNEKER CINEMA.

Exciter lamp wrote a couple of months ago that he was pleased to see there are still theatres equiped
with 35mm installations and I agreed with him.

Now this situation has changed and coming couple of months a digital installation is going to be placed ( snif, snif)  Embarrassed Embarrassed
In a way we are forced to change to digital because the newer productions will only be available in this format.
We are going to use a kind of lease construction. This means that part of the installation costs is going te be footed
by a Dutch cinema foundation (mainly distributors) and the other part we'll have to fund ourselves.
There's a catch, we can keep the 35mm installation and use it for as long 35mm is available, but from the newer productions that
are available in digital and 35mm we have to show the digital version.
Any older title that's only available in 35mm we can still show in 35mm.

I have had this thought... if I have to project digitaly... I could run the filmprojector without film alongside just to have
the illusion that I am showing the movie on film............(Ha,Ha)
I guess I'll just have to go with the flow..... But like it, I do NOT!.

We have a choice for the brand of the projectors we are going to use, the choice is between NEC and BARCO.
We tend to choose for the Barco's.
Since I've read some comments about the SONY projectors on the American film forum that weren't really praising and most of
the complaints were about the dim light on the screen due to a filter in front of the lens.
I don't know about the NEC's but BARCO seems to be the best choise.

I am wondering if those digital projectors will be outdated in a couple of years like: "oh no sir, films in the format you're using aren't made
anymore you'll have to buy a new installation in order to show these titles, your installation is really out of date and I know for sure you that want the best for your patrons...." Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

My 35mm projector is thirty years old now and films for it are still there..... Grin

All the best!!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 08:24:03 AM by Xenon » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: