35mmforum.co.uk
October 20, 2018, 04:17:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Good to see the forum going from strength to strength.
Welcome to the european 35mmforum.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author
[EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU]
Topic: Problem with Microcine Mignon portable 35mm projector  (Read 1909 times)
exciterlamp

« on: May 07, 2011, 04:45:33 PM »

I have a Microcine Mignon portable 35mm projector in my attic workroom and use it to check the programmes I have put together before showing them in my cinema on full size machines.  A couple of days ago it seized up completely.  The inching knob will not turn.  I have had the back off and have narrowed the problem down to the intermittent movement.  If I slip the drive belts off everything else, including the motor, seems to turn over OK.  I bought the machine second hand several years ago and, when lifting it  up an aluminium ladder into the attic (a nightmare job), it turned on its side and a little oil ran out, though I could not see where from.  I now assume that it was from the cross box.  On top of the intermittent unit is a bolt, which seems to have no purpose.  Does anyone know if that is where I can put oil in?  I am wary about undoing it, in case it is holding something in place inside the unit.  The unit itself is held together with bolts on the side, which look as if they should be undone with a hex key except that there are no sides for a key to grip.  The hole is completely circular.  Has anyone had a similar problem?  Does anyone have a manual?  I have been unable to find one on the Net.  I hate portables.  There is too much in too small a space, unlike my full size machines, which I have stripped down and rebuilt and which are so easy to service.
Xenon
Administrator

Xenon light is nice and bright! Keep in focus!

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 05:01:43 AM »

Hi Exciterlamp,

In order to help you out it helps to have a picture (pictures) of the intermittent unit.
It's the only way to find out where to put the oil!
Hopefully you didn't run the projector too long without oil in the Malthese cross and that the unit isn't damaged.
exciterlamp

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 08:41:16 AM »

Hi
I will see if I can photograph the unit.  It is rather difficult as there is so much in the way.  Basically, it s just a rectangular box with a hexagonal bolt at the top.
exciterlamp

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 08:30:41 AM »

Hi Xenon.  If you don't hear from me for a while about this problem, it's because I will be out all this weekend then on Monday I am having an operation on my knee.  If the last time I had a knee operation is anything to go by, I won't be able to climb the loft ladder for two or three weeks - and that is being optimistic.

Xenon
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 05:43:29 AM »

Thanks for the knee info.

I have a friend who has a Microcine. I'll ask him if the hexagonal bolt up on top of the malthese cross unit is the oil-filling point.
Do you know what oil to use?
Xenon
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 05:52:03 AM »

Exciterlamp,

If you have filled the malthese cross unit with oil, it's maybe best to try to turn the inching knob first.
If that stilll doesn't move it probaly means that the unit is blocked  Shocked Shocked and that a technician better looks at it before you try to connect the motor belts.
Xenon
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 05:58:21 AM »

Exciterlamp,

Did you find out where the oil came out of in the first place.
I mean if during the transport to the attic it lost oil from the malthese cross unit there must be an opening in it where the oil came out.
Isn't there an oil level indicator of some sort where it leaked from ( holding the projector not level)
exciterlamp

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 01:48:38 PM »

Hi Xenon

No I Could not find out where the oil came from.  There is no oil site or level indicator.  The intermittent unit appears to be a totally sealed box.
Xenon
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 10:55:23 AM »

Exciterlamp,

The hexagonal bolt on top of the Mathese cross box covers the oil fill opening as explaned by a friend who has a microcine.
He also said that he's afraid that using the projector without oil in the Malthese cross unit may have damaged the unit.
If after you have filled new oil try to use the inch nob and you cannot get the projector to move, he advises to have the projector looked after by a technician.

Succes,
exciterlamp

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 04:49:52 PM »

Xenon

Many thanks for your help.  I had the knee operation last Monday and am recovering well, so I should be able to get up the loft ladder this coming weekend.  I will let you know what happens!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: