35mmforum.co.uk
December 09, 2018, 10:52:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Good to see the forum going from strength to strength.
Welcome to the european 35mmforum.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author
[EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU]
Topic: Converting my projector to red light.  (Read 2413 times)
Xenon
Administrator

Xenon light is nice and bright! Keep in focus!

« on: March 22, 2010, 09:01:31 AM »

Hi Folks,

After a lot of doubts whether or not I should  convert my optical sound system to red light in order to be able to play cyan sound tracks and after hearing and reading about results others had with the conversion I decided to go for it!

In Germany I found a specialized supplier of led equipment and ordered a 3 watt red (620 Nm) lumiled and a adjustable power supply for it!
The power supply is adjustable from 50 to 1000 mA and is nice and tiny built and would easely fitt in the lampunit of my optical sound system. I used the original DC power from the old tone lamp ( about 8-10 volts DC ) to power the special led driver that I bought for the new led.
I sawed off a piece of used aluminium to be used as a heatsink and platform for the led.
Since I ment to be able to use the white light if neaded, I left the original system in tact and just made it possible to add the led and heatsink which could easy be removed (2 scews).

The original situation

The soundunit as it looks like now [note the tiny adjustable powersupply ( 3x3 cm)]
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 06:15:27 PM by Xenon » Logged
Xenon
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 08:49:15 PM »

Part II

I am not sure if every filmprojector sound system will need the same light intensity to reach Dolby level!
When the conversion was finished and after adjusting the position of the led we ran a test comparing the sound of the original DTS disc and the reproduction of the SR sound from the optical soundtrack.
Ofcourse there was a difference in sound, but to tell the truth the quality of the sound of the optical track was only a fraction lesser
in quality compared to the DTS sound ( a bit less dynamic in the louder parts).... I was very happy with the result.

Now about the costs ,I payed for the Luxeon Lumiled ( LXHL-LD3C)€ 7,49 and € 26,95 for the adjustable power supply 50-1000mA. make: HKO-KL50-1000.
There are also powersupplys available with fixed powersettings like 400 mA, 700 mA and 1000 mA for € 14,49
The heatsink I made of a piece of used aluminium so for about € 40,00 ( aprox. $ 55.00) including shipping costs I had my projector converted.
With the powersupply set on aprox. 700 mA. I reached Dolby level with ease and even had a lot left on my cat.108.
Now I can play Cyan soundtracks as well!!!!

The address I bought the hardware(led, supply) is: www.dotlight.de
the shipping took about three days!

Grin Grin ;

Update: www.dotlight.de doesn't sell the leds (LXHL-LD3C)  any longer (they seem to be fased out)
They are still available from www.conrad.nl
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 06:32:21 PM by Xenon » Logged
xelablan

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 09:13:08 AM »

Hi: I´m just finishing converting my portable with a 3watts red Led too. I´ll post pictures of my projectors soon.
Alex
Xenon
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 05:05:23 PM »

Great Alex !!

It's always nice to see how someone else solves his problems!

Looking forward for the pictures!

Xenon.
Xenon
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 08:06:34 PM »

Hi Alex,

Did you succeed in converting your projector to red light?
If so, what is the result ? And did you manage to make some pictures of it?

Xenon
Damien Taylor

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 04:36:04 AM »

I will be converting my FP3 to red LED very soon. The machine is very original so I will be making the modification reversible. Stay tuned.
Xenon
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 07:00:06 AM »

Hello Damien,

Welcome on the forum, we hope you'll like it here!

A friend of mine has converted a FP3 lately to LED and encountered some snags for the exciterlamp current supplied by the FP3 didn't seem to supply enough mAmps to feed the three watt Led in order to reach Dolby level.

If you encounter problems in converting to Led, I can give you his email address so you might get in contact with him and he might give you some suggestions to overcome these problems.

Since we use 220 volts here in Europe our FP3's mostly are supplied with seperate power supplies to get the 110 volts the FP3 runs on.
I know he placed a seperate Led power supply in that unit to power the Led.

If you might need his help, please let me know!
Succes,

Xenon.
Damien Taylor

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 09:39:01 AM »

Thanks for the info and welcome Xenon!

I am in Australia and the mains voltage is 240V. The original suitcase power supply for the machine takes almost any voltage it seems.

The previous owner of this projector bypassed the original exciter power supply for a modern one. At best it will work immediately with an LED, at worst at least the exciter power supply wires are already isolated ready for a new PSU.

For those that are interested, this is what the power supply looks like (Needs a clean)

Voltage Selection

Left to right (former) photoelectric cell output?, ground, power input, to projector.

Where exciter cables were spliced out.

Solar cell ready to go with red light source.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: